I noticed warnings of interactions between general anti-nauseants and tramadol. My 1st time taking 1 x 100 mg. tramadol sustained release proved pretty unpleasant, as I had taken 2 x 50 mg. generic dimenhydrinate (also found in gravol) earlier in the day for some comparatively moderate nausea and 1 or 2 instances of vomiting that morning.

My nausea is generally caused by liver damage, but can be set off by something as simple as a cup of coffee. Also in the mix was 1500 mg. of acetaminophen and 400 mg. of naproxen sodium, also taken much earlier. I am well accustomed to these since I have been taking them on and off for 4 years. In fact, it was my idea to get my liver checked, not any doctor, and when it showed up damaged in blood tests, it was my theory that it was the acetaminophen that had damaged it, which the doctors all jumped on right away, sure, yeah, that's the ticket, though they didn't offer any remedy, and I had to try to use natural supplements such as milk thistle and burdock root and dandelion root capsules and tea to help the detoxification load and allow some limited regeneration.

Anyway, the point is that i couldn't keep anything down that day, couldn't even get to the washroom. Could this be a direct result of the dimenhydrinate? Should there be a specific warning in the interactions checker on this site for example?

I have heard that the initial use of tramadol can be pretty nauseating in itself, so maybe that was it. And like I said, I had already thrown up a little earlier that morning.

Any ideas?

At the very least, allow my experience to inform and help.

Also, I just wanted to address all the pointless comments from people comparing tramadol to the pantheon of natural, semi-synthetic and synthetic opioids, such as codeine, morphine, hydro_____, and oxy_____, etc. among other comparisons I've seen. Don't be mislead by that, the reason I came across tramadol in my extensive research is that it helps with allodynia, which is the aspect of nerve pain, A.K.A. diabetic (and other) neuropathy or neuralgia that gives pain response with only the lightest of touch. In my case, this means just wearing a sock that is too tight would cause pain. The tramadol is working well so far. My nerve damage was due to a deep laceration which became infected and the white blood cells indiscriminantly attack the infected area and the myelin sheath on the nerves among other parts of the nervous system become damaged.

In fact, most opioids are ineffective for pain from nerve damage. The actual receptors on your spine are lost when the nerves are damaged as I remember the research. Injections of cannabinoids are more effective than morphine, etc. Most opioids are short acting, and tolerance is rapidly built up, needing more and more with less relief. I was popping little codeine pills on their own with little to no relief for neuropathy. I even had some oxycodone, which did little, though it did help with my unrelated back pain.

Good luck, all!