Will niacin increase blood HDL, the "good" cholesterol?

It does say that Niacin elevates HDL cholesterol.

Niacin (also known as Nicotinic acid) is limited by its side effects especially vasodilatation. In doses of 1.5 to 3 g daily it lowers both cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations by inhibiting synthesis. It also increases HDL cholesterol.

http://www.drugs.com/cholesterol.html

It did for me. This is my only cholesterol med suggested by my son who is pharmacist. I take 500mg twice daily. Rugby 500mg bottle of1000 about $20 at Amazon.com.
You will flush the first time and when you increase dose. At worst it lasts 15 min or so. Doc wanted me to do lipitor. I did niacin instead. went from 195 to 140. Doc. was happy with hdl, ldl, triglicerides. My son said that it doesn't work for everyone. It has for him, his wife, me and my wife. It is dirt cheap compared to niaspan. He said not to use otc slow release (hard on kidney or liver I cant remember which) He said niaspan does not. I hope this helps.Ask your Doctor.