My vicodin expired in 2005.can I still take it?

No way!!! The pharmacys always tell people to never take a medication after the experation date.Due to the fact that over time.The drug loses it's strength in potency and therefore is considered ineffective."Disclaimer"-If you do take a drug that is expired you are taking it at your own risk.

It is considered unsafe and ineffective after the expiration date according to the FDA.-Federal Drug Administration

caringsonbj 24 Jan 2011

Whatever you do please do not take expired medications of any kind shape form or fashion, this is unsafe and is the wrong thing to do

caringsonbj 24 Jan 2011

the reason that you were given the answer about using the Vicodin in the first place several years ago I had no Insurance and was having such severe pain and not able to see a doctor but just had some outdated pain medication on here, but prior to taking it I telephone my pharmacist and asked him if this would be something safe to do his reply was it would not harm me but most likely wouldn't have the desired effect, I want you to be sure not to take this medication I do not know your circumstances and therefore I would in no way put you at rish any shape form or fashion, please understand the reason I gave that answer was because I was mentally reminded of what happened to me but always check with a reputabile doctor and or pharmacist or this site before taking any expired medications since this is not a good idea at all

I would have to agree, I wouldn't take a med that old. ask your pharmacist if still unsure.

caringsonbj 24 Jan 2011

he is assuming I told the person tto do it what I was saying I was told by the pharmacist that it would not likely do the job being it was an older medicaton I was under Insurance constraints, I offered him an answer I got from a pharmacist but did not encourage this person to use this medication

arcanoidcyst16 26 Jan 2011

Well i can only encourage you to not do something that goes against medical practices sir.That is all.I have NO real authority.What you do on your watch is on your watch.Thanks and have a wonderful afternoon.

I have taken drugs that have expired butone thing to be aware of they may not be as potent as they were at one time, double check with the pharmacist but I don't believe from what the doctor has said that they will cause harm the worst you can end up with it is not working like it usually would

arcanoidcyst16 24 Jan 2011

Dude if you take an expired medication your just flat out retarded.For some reason something is telling me.That you shouldn't even have that vicoden in the first place.Never take meds that have expired you put your self at risk and your life at risk.It's also from 2005 that's a way long time ago dude.Man some people just don't get it.DON'T TAKE IT!!!

golfdame 24 Jan 2011

I worked for a Podiatrist who was developing an anti-fungal medication and he said the exiration date reflected the amount of time the drug has been tested to be effective... not necessarily the exact time it looses it's effectiveness. I heard one time that aspirin becomes toxic after a certain period of time. That may be an old wives tale. Bottom line, before I read all your responses the pain was getting to me so I took 1/2 the old vicodin. I'm still alive and still in pain. It's lost all it's potency. Back to Ibuprophen... which is still in code. thanks to you all for your advice.

With a splitting headache you reach into your medicine cabinet for some aspirin only to find the stamped expiration date on the bottle has passed - two years ago. So, do you take it or don't you? If you decide to take the aspirin will it be a fatal mistake or will you simply continue to suffer from the headache? This is a dilemma many people face in some way or another. A column published in Pyschopharmacology Today offers some advice. It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can stillguaranteethefull potencyand safetyof thedrug. Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military.