My onc. says I will have it monthly for the rest of my life. Anyone else been taking it longterm?

I don't know the exact prescribing criteria but your oncologist must be right, they know of all the current research and protocols of treatment.

Zometa (zoledronic acid - sometimes called zoledronate) is in a group of medicines called bisphosphonates (bis FOS fo nayts). Zoledronic acid inhibits the release of calcium from bones.

Zometa is used to treat high blood levels of calcium caused by cancer (hypercalcemia of malignancy). Zometa also treats multiple myeloma (a type of bone marrow cancer) or bone cancer that has spread from elsewhere in the body.

http://www.drugs.com/zometa.html

Paraganglioma 9 Mar 2011

I have been getting my 4ml via infusion monthly for just over seven years. Never had any side effects. My onc recently scaled back to once every other month, saying his research showed it should be just as effective at the lower dose. I have not noticed anything different at the less frequent dose.

I have been getting 4g of Zometa since early 2005 and will also have it for the rest of my life. Until a year ago, I got it monthly. I now get it every 3 months and have seen no difference in my condition due to the change in frequency of the Zometa infusion.