My doctor prescribed me 80 mg pravastatin, instead of 40 mg.. I did not ask her why?

The recommended starting dosage of pravastatin for most people with
high cholesterol is 40 mg once a day, taken at any time during the day.

After several weeks, the doctor could recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, he or she may choose to increase your pravastatin dosage.

However it would be better to seek more accurate reply from your doctor who prescribed the med, take care, be well & safe!