My doc changed my meds from percocet 10-325mg to nucynta 100mg, whats the differance?

Percocet 10/325 is a quick acting opiate that is supposed to be used for acute pain. which is why your doctor likely took you off it. It becomes useless quickly as you build a tolerance to it quickly and it doesn't have a particularly long half life.
Nucynta is a relatively new type of pain killer. It is much safer for you to take as it isn't supposed to be addicting. Here is some of the info I found that might be helpful to you.

Tapentadol (trade name Nucynta) is a centrally-acting analgesic with a dual mode of action as an agonist at the μ-opioid receptor and as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.[2] While its action reflects aspects of tramadol and morphine its ability to kill pain is more on the order of hydrocodone and oxycodone.[3]. Tapentadol is a new molecular entity that is structurally similar to tramadol (Ultram). It has opioid and nonopioid activity in a single compound... Good luck... Dave

I have S1 radiculopathy and was being seen by a pain management specialist. He initially prescribed me Nucynta 50mg TID after taking Hydrocodone 7.5/325mg QID for nearly 10 months. I was only getting 3 hours of pain relief, so he increased it to Nucynta 75mg BID which gave me 5 hours of relief, but 2 tablets daily was not enough to alleviate the pain for a 24 hour period. After taking Nucynta 75mg for a month, I started to experience symptoms of serotonin syndrome which is an increase in serotonin in the body. My primary care physician brought this syndrome to my attention. I was feeling restless and agitated, extreme cold and shivering, and was more achy in the morning than I already was. My primary care doctor is having me wean off of Nucynta due to the side effects, but has started me back on Hydrocodone which have none of these side effects.

There is a large difference. I was on Nucynta 100mg three times daily. It has it's upsides and downsides. The best part is that it has no tylenol in it. It is a genetically modified version of tramadol, which if you don't know is a non-opiate narcotic pain reliever. There is a lot of bs about Nucynta out there. I can tell you a few things for sure. It is addictive. Not so much as most opiates, your body will still get addicted to it. It does not have nearly the same kind of high associated with it as its opiate counterparts, but it also won't even get in the ball park of the pain relief that a comparable dose of percocet(oxycodone) will. And, last but not least it is a relatively new medication( the reason it is so crazy expensive) so watch out for adverse reactions to it. Believe it or not the reason I had to stop taking it is because it was giving me gout.

eaglehaslanded 15 Jun 2012

I,too, had a very bad reaction to Ultram (tramadol) after taking it for about 2 months for Fibromyalgia pain & a broken leg. It started making my heart beat way out of wack & scared the dickens out of me! Looked it up & tramadol can & will cause irregular heartbeat in some patients. I'll stick with my percocet, thank you. :)