Mucinex DM - Taking mucinex-dm can it cause a positive urine in a drug test?

Anonymous

Mucinex DM (dextromethorphan and guaifenesin).-

Dextromethorphan - Can cause false positive for Heroin, Opiates, Morphine.-

Take some sort of proof that you have been prescribed this medication, and let the them know before they do the test that you are on it.-

All the best and take care.-

Yes! The DM portion is dextromethorphan. DXM is actually an opiod like molecule.

As a comment to the abov, I don't know if you can prove that you were prescribed it, since it is over the counter. However, you might be able to request a more specific test

Like technotard said-request a more specific test. The best test is gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GS/MS). It is also more expensive but it will be able to prove or disprove any false positives. Many of the cheaper test dont distinquish certain metabolites (drug by products detected in the urine after a drug breaks down in the body). GS/MS will distinquish the differences so if they do GS/MS you wont get a false positive for other drugs or eating a poppy seed muffin or bagel and all the other false positives you hear of. It is a much more expensive test but if you do get a false positive and it can mean not getting job or not getting further pain control from pain management and especially in legal matters insist on the GS/MS test because it is the most accurate.

Yes, it'll show up on a drug test. Found out the hard way. Took Mucinex on Thurs. Fri. and Sat. for bad sinus infection and tested on Wed at VA hospital. Tested postive for meth. Have never touch any drugs and have no plans to. Had a 3rd party test 4 hrs later that I paid for myself and test were negative. Go figure.