Morphine IR - What does the IR stand for in Morphine Sulphate IR?

The first answer was correct:

IR = Instant release. Drug will take effect from 5-30 minutes after ingestion and it will stay effective for 2-6 hours.
ER/SR = Extended or Sustained Release. Drug will take effect from 15-60 minutes after ingestion and it will stay effective for anywhere from 4-12 hours from ingestion.

Breaking/cutting/crushing an IR tablet can make it take effect faster, but possibly shorten (slightly) how long it is effective.

One should NEVER break/cut/crush an SR tablet as they will get a MUCH higher dose than is on the label. It WILL take effect faster, however it will NOT last nearly as long.

Yeah the other posters right. If you see e.r,it's extended relief.

CaptCastle 30 Aug 2010

Thanks for the info...

I believe the IR should stand for "instant" (or immediate) release.

CaptCastle 30 Aug 2010

Thank you for your answer. That's what I was thinking.