Metformin -can you take metformin if you have kidney disease?

Its ok to take it. There is no contradiction of kidney disease.

There is contraindication if you have renal impairment.

anjeegyrl 21 May 2013

See: http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html - and go to bottom of page for More Metformin Resources and click Professional Metformin Prescribing Information FDA to find the following:
Renal Insufficiency-
In patients with decreased renal function (based on measured creatinine clearance), the plasma and blood half-life of Metformin is prolonged and the renal clearance is decreased in proportion to the decrease in creatinine clearance (see Table 1; also see WARNINGS).

There is one area you ought to be aware that can cause problems for the liver. For the kidney, renal, I saw nothing in particular, unless you had a kidney problem prior to taking metformin or have developed a problem since. As long as you have annual or six month complete blood tests you should be fine. Here is the info on alcohol, which we tend to forget over time and does cause a very real problem, even life threatening.

There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with metformin:
Alcohol (Ethanol) ↔ metFORMIN
Moderate Drug Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.

GENERALLY AVOID: Ethanol may potentiate the effects of metformin on lactate metabolism.

anjeegyrl 21 May 2013

Her question was "Can you take metformin if you have kidney disease?" @Endlesspred in your answer you say "For the kidney, renal, I saw nothing in particular, unless you had a kidney problem prior to taking metformin or have developed a problem since." I don't understand this statement. If she has kidney disease, then she has a kidney/renal problem...

endlessPred 21 May 2013

Hi Anjee. Yes, they are the same. I should have used parentheses. I added this because often liver problems and kidney problems go together. I often include extra info because it widens the conversation and the writer or a reader may be looking at either. Thanks for bringing my punctuation to my attention. It will help others understand, I am sure. K