Meningococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine - does meningococcal vaccine protect a man life long?

In the US when the vaccine was first recommended for adolescents in 2005, the expectation was that protection would last for 10 years; however, currently available data suggest it wanes in most adolescents within 5 years. Based on that information, a single dose at the recommended age of 11 or 12 years may not offer protection through the adolescent years at which risk for meningococcal infection is highest (16 though 21 years of age). A booster dose is now recommended at age 16.