What medications are similar to Cymbalta?

Hi, downtowner! There are dozens of different anti-depressants: tricyclics, MAOIs, SSRIs, and SNRIs. Cymbalta is in a class by itself, an SSNRI.
Different medications work for some people, others don't. May I ask if you're thinking of switching?
Best wishes, WC

Downtowner01 9 Feb 2013

Hi, WC. I am looking at alternative medications which would hopefully work for me as well as Cymbalta, because my Medicare/Medicaid/Extra Help drug coverage has changed. Instead of a $3.30 copay for a 30 day supply, the cost is now $93.91 for a 30 day supply. I do not want to stop taking Cymbalta, as it has worked well for me for 15 years, but I may not have a choice. Best, DT

WildcatVet 9 Feb 2013

Hi, dt! I can understand that!! I'm on Medicare and have to fight constantly to keep my meds covered. Even with the drug plan, I spend nearly half my check on drugs (prescription ~ HaHa).
Good luck and if you have to change there are some good medications that are now generic. Feel free to ask us any questions you might have. WC

kaismama 9 Feb 2013

Have they lost their minds? I take effexor generic( venlafaxine). When I went on it it was to avoid the high cost of cymbalta. I have medicare and it pays for it totally. I have no co pay with my part D.

WildcatVet 9 Feb 2013

Hey, momma! I'm glad venlafaxine works for you too. I've been on Effexor for years and was sooo happy when it went generic. It's the best med I've ever been on. Works great and never had a side-effect.
Take care! WC

Downtowner01 10 Feb 2013

Mama, I am happy for you that Effexor (generic) works for you. It did not work for me. Effexor was the last of many anti-depressants I tried before my doctor prescribed Cymbalta. Effexor caused my depression to spiral out of control and I ended up in psychiatric day hospital care for 6 weeks. I had to be completely weened off the Effexor slowly before I could start on a new medication and had to be do it in a clinical environment where I basically under a suicide watch. As WC stated Cymbalta is in a class by itself. Not only did it help with my depression it also helped with my anxiety/panic disorder and the physiological illnesses I had due to the depression. The chronic migraines, irritable bowel syndrome and unexplainable pain throughout my body disappeared after I started on Cymbalta.

lunalas1 8 Jul 2015

Did you have side effects in the beginning of taking Cymbalta?