Is there a best time of day to take coumadin? Should it be taken on an empty stomach or not?

All of the cardiologists affiliated with Borgess Heart Center For Excellence direct their patients to take coumadin at 5:00pm.

gentlefootprint 18 Mar 2011

I have also noted that some people take coumadin at 6:00pm or 7:00pm. All times are in the same general ballpark. The most important thing to remember is to be consistent, taking it at the same time each day.

nkelto 18 Mar 2011

Okay - thanks for the information - that was what I was thinking

The best time of day to take Coumadin is the time of day that's easiest to remember. I tell my patients that the reason most doctors recommend taking their Coumadin in the evening is this: say you go in to have your INR checked and find that it is extremely high and you need to hold your Coumadin for the day. If you usually take your Coumadin in the mornings, chances are you have already taken it by then and will need to wait another day before making the dose adjustment, which puts you at risk for a bleed that much longer. There is no medical reason for taking your Coumadin at night versus mornings, other than this rationale. Again, the most important thing is remembering to take it at about the same time everyday. It also can be taken without regard to food.