Is Pristiq presrcibed for pain disorders?

No. The FDA has not approved Pristiq for a Panic Disorder. It is however FDA approved for Depression which can be the cause of someones Panic Disorder. Your doctor is using it off label or believes that you have depression and wants to treat it to see if it will help with your Anxiety Disorder. Give it some time. It might just work. If it ends up not working I would recommend a Benzodiazepine such as Xanax .25mg as needed for your Panic Disorder. I hope this helps you out. Happy New Years!

srbmom 5 Jan 2010

My question was misread. I asked about pain not panic disorders. Any different advice? I do take Klonopin for anxiety, Depekote for bipolar & now pristiq.

mitjason 5 Jan 2010

I apologize. I don't know how I missed that. The answer is yes. Antidepressants can help with pain disorders. Many doctor will prescribe an antidepressant before prescribing other narcotic type medications. If you don't experience any pain relief I would recommend trying something called Tramadol (Ultram). You an research it on Ultram.com It can help many people with pain and it's not a controlled substance (Although it most likely will become a controlled substance soon do to the fact that any people abuse this drug). I would also see a Pain Specialist if you experience moderate to severe pain. If it's just mild pain your normal doctor can prescribe something like Tramadol. I hope this helps. Sorry again for misreading your question. I hope this is sufficient.

srbmom 8 Jan 2010

I was on tramadol but can't take no more b/c it doesn't mix w/ pristiq. Ur my 1st friend on here and have been so helpful. Thanks!

mitjason 8 Jan 2010

I'm sorry to hear you had to get of Tramadol. You should talk to your doctor about trying Subutex or Suboxone. They are usually used for Heroin addicts or opiate/opioid addicts. It's a schedule 3 narcotic and it has a ceiling effect which prevents people from taking more than 24mg (If they take more than 24mg the Suboxone or Subutex will not do anything, it will stay at the same level). People often use this medication for pain and the active ingredient is Buprenorphine which is used to treat cancer pain as well. Hope you get the help you need! Good luck to you. Feel free to send me a private message anytime and I will be happy to respond!