Is mixing xanax anx neurotin dangerous?

alprazolam ↔ gabapentin
Applies to: Xanax (alprazolam), Neurontin (gabapentin)
MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-677,133-54#ixzz11t5ATgNb

For more details, please talk to the doc/pharmacist who prescribed the med, take care, be well & safe.

yes becuase 2 med. are in 1 category of drug,maybe have respiratory depression or potentional prolong C.N.S and other synergic side effect occure,take care.

I had (and still am) been on 3mg of Klonopin (not the same as Xanax, but really acts more or less the same) as well as 225mg of Lyrica (also not the same medication, but also very very similar, and works more or less the same) for a couple years, and the issue of interactions was never of any concern. What would be of concern would be if your on numerous other depressant medications, including certain OTC allergy medication such as Benadryl and any of the many many others that indicate on the warning label of possible interactions with depressant type medications.

I have been on many different type of Benzo's with Neurontin, for over six years. Anything dealing with a Benzo is addicting. From all of them I have been on (Klonopin, Ativan, and Xanax) XANAX was the worse out of them all, as it made me shake when it started to wear off.

I would ask your Doctor about your concerns and why he prescribed you Xanax. There are certain ones for certain conditions. I know out of most of the Benzo's, I preferred Klonopin (Clonazepam) as it does stays longer in your system. As I have been suffering with a Panic Disorder around 30 years (I was very young when this started) and Klonpin worked better. Ativan (Lorazepam) works better for a quick Anxiety attacks, and Xanax was better for sleeping, or for night terrors. As there are different reasons for certain people, and certain Doctors...

jk13 10 Oct 2010

for whatever it's worth, I think that it's worth while to note that Xanax is often prescribed to be used as is needed, for situations or events that you know that you'll have difficulties with anxiety, vs. Klonopin that is for all the time sort of anxiety. It's more likely that those taking Xanax are not addicted to it due to not taking it all the time, and taking it only when needed. I could only assume that this would be the type of anxiety that you have, cause otherwise, a Xanax XR or Klonopin would be the item of choice, and more or less guarantees benzo addiction. The short acting action of Xanax makes it great for situational events, however if taken regularly, is really not a great choice (being addicted to a short acting drug = bad idea). I guess that I just want to point out what it is good for, and that it just is what it is.