Is it safe to take nalidixic acid for curing urinary infection in pregnancy? (5.5 months)?

Nalidixic acid has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Animal studies have revealed teratogenic and embryocidal effects and prolonged pregnancy duration. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. No birth defects were reported in 63 newborns whose mothers had taken the drug during pregnancy. Cartilage damage and arthropathy are reported in immature animals giving rise to concern over effects on bone formation in the developing fetus. Because safer alternatives are available, some experts consider quinolones contraindicated during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester. Nalidixic acid is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk.

However, please do talk with your gynecologist before you start to take the med.

Take care, & wish your baby all the best!