Is it safe to drink alcohol whilst taking thalidomide? What side effects can you get?Thanks?

Hey krncnnn,

The following warning accompanies the use of thalidomide with alcoholic beverages:

ethanol ↔ thalidomide

Applies to: Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol), thalidomide

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Best to stay away from the alcohol while taking thalidomide.

Best wishes,

Laurie

krncnnn 11 Jun 2011

Thanx LaurieShay will do my best - hard at weekends tho!!!