Is elivil "amitriptyline" habit forming?

I looked up your question and found: "The habit-forming potential is none"
http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/amitri.jsp

jude2008 26 Feb 2010

I was on this medication many years ago. and don't remember having any problems coming off it. Unfortunatly, I don't remember it being much help either. Still we are all different. It may work for you. Good luck!

subzero58 26 Feb 2010

the reason im asking this question is because, i just stoped taking elivil and i cant sleep for more than 45-60 min at a time. i keep waking up for the last 4 nights. thats the only thing dif im doing.

Anonymous

It is not habit forming so to speak, but, it does need to be tapered down instead of going off cold turkey. It does affect the brain chemicals and abruptly stopping it can cause them to stay unbalanced. If you still have some left, take some of it and slowly decrease your usage.