Is Benicar HCT the same kind of drug as Lisinopril-HCTZ?

Benicar HCT has a different blood pressure reducing medicine called olmesartan. It works slightly differently than lisinopril.

Olmesartan is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.

Lisinopril is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. It works by relaxing blood vessels. This helps to lower blood pressure. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.

Both the medicines contain hydrochlorothiazide, which is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/benicar-hct.html

http://www.drugs.com/lisinopril.html