Is ativan 1mg stronger then xanax 1mg?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Ativan vs Xanax - How do they compare?

Anonymous

No ativan is a weaker version of xanax you have to take two of those to equal one xanax.

barbles2413 15 Jun 2010

XANAX IS FASTER ACTING AND SHORTER ACTING THAN ATIVAN ATIVAN TAKES LONGER TO TAKE EFFECT BUT LAST LONGER AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MY PSYCH THAT ATIVAN IS MORE POTENT

Anonymous 15 Jun 2010

Ive been told by a doctor that ativan is not as strong as xanax!

Saavedra 17 Jun 2010

First you need to think about what mg means in medications. They are not equal. Example: for a headache you may take two 325 mg. tylenol. Obviously, for extreme anxiety you would not take that much xanax. Drugs are weighed by the electrons in the outer orbit and the molecular weight is what determines the milligrams. Xanax was first introduced as an alternative to valium which has a long half life and causes euphoria and addiction if taken regularly. Unfortunately, Xanax appears to be psychologically the same as valium with a shorter half life, but fast tolerance and onset. Although both are benzos ( xanax and ativan) They are apples and oranges. Ativan is given in smaller doses usually and does not produce the psychological high that accompanies xanax. That is why you do not hear about ativan as a drug of choice for abusers. It is the preferred benzo for older patients that people who need something for withdraw. Do not be fooled however into thinking that it is non addicting.

no ativan is about half as strong as xanax

I found that taking 1mg of ativan just chills me out whereas 1mg of xanax can make me drool on myself and then pass out... but that's just how it affects me.