I'm a 47 y/o female and was diagnosed with ADHD at age 6 but I did not take the meds, (can't remember why). At age 44 I decided to get tested and was diagnosed as having ADHD (of the inattentive type). I've also suffered from anxiety all of my life. Since beginning Adderall XR 15 mg, now 20 mg for 2 months, I have been experiencing muscle pain, cramping/tightening and weakness. Adderall changed my life for the better, (except for the pain if that's the cause). Not thinking that my pain was caused by this med my Dr. began sending me to one specialist after another, a Psychologist, 2 Psychiatrists, a Neuro Surgeon, a Spine Specialist, a Neurologist, and a Rheumatologist. All specialist say there is nothing wrong. I've had a CT scan, 4 MRIs, a nerve test and several X-Rays. All show no abnormalities. I've had 4 months of physical therapy, 1 yr. of Chiropractic care and spent thousands of dollars on in home equipment to ease the pain. Nothing has helped and I refuse to take pain relievers, I don't believe covering up the problem is the answer... Recently, I was told by my Rheumatologist that I had "Myofacial Pain". REALLY?! I'm no Dr. but I believe that was the reason WHY I made the appt. to see him. What I'd like to know is the cause of my pain... :/ Needless to say, I'm completely frustrated and becoming increasingly depressed. It hurts to do simple household chores, I rarely leave my home, and out of desperation I spend up to 10 hrs a day on the internet looking for answers. I'm beginning to wonder if the Adderall XR is the cause. Has anyone else experienced these issues while on this med? If so, what ADHD med were you switched to? PLEASE HELP!!! (Sorry for the lengthy question) Thanks!
16 Aug 2011
yes! Adderall cam cause muscle tightness and pain. especially in the back and shoulders and neck. it doesn't affect me this way, but it effects one of my good friends this way. try cutting back, then going off of it for a couple wks and see if you see any improvement.
24 Oct 2011
Saw this - had to respond. Am 41 y/o male - almost same experience.
- Been on adderall IR for last 7/8 yrs, then switched to XR about 6 months ago. about 2x yr would go to dr complaining of a sinus infection or tooth pain but couldn't ever find the cause. Have had 4 root canals on the right side of my mouth - so much pain I wanted root canals!
- After last root canal, pain didn't go away. Have been to ENT, neurologist, pain specialist - and my primary - trying to find the cause. Plus referred to psychologist for anxiety. Plus 2 oral surgeons to confirm the issue isn't with my teeth. Had CT scan which came up clean.
- With all of the MDs, have been to chiropractor, acupuncture, guy that does "neuro-rehab" massage/body work with stroke patients. thousands and thousands of dollars.
- The neurologist and pain specialist calls it a neuralgia - nerve inflammation, either in my trigeminal or occipital nerves, and likely due to muscle tension and compression of nerves over years. But - no one can seem to tell me why my muscles are so tight in my back and neck, and even after chiro, massage, etc - the tension just comes right back.
- The pain DR. gave me an occipital nerve block last week, which has helped a bit with the back of my head and neck. And next would be botox to help the muscles relax.
- No one, but no one has suggested it could be the adderall.
- But last week I got a wild idea and thought "gee, I wonder if it's been the the adderrall, and these mystery toothaches and sinus infections got much much worse after switching to XR. let me check online and see if anyone else reports the same thing?" Well lo and behold, seems like I'm not the only one.
- and I totally agree, it screws with your mind.
- So I've asked my Dr. to move off of Addrerall and to Focalin or something that's not such a CNS stimulant to see if we can decrease the muscle tightness.
- But I have nothing to share yet on getting either the muscles to release or nerves to stop hurting. Will report when I do. good luck to you.
13 Nov 2012
Your dosage is probably too powerful for your body to handle. (size/weight)
Try switching to non-XR. I was initially prescribed 30mg of xr daily. However after about 4 months, I began to experience cramping & tightness in my neck, back & sometimes horrific headaches. I found temporary relief in stretching and yoga type movements. Finally, I decided to decrease the adderall build up in my and switched to non-xr 25mg twice or three times daily. That was the cure for me. Your dr. shouldn't have problem switching. Hope it works for you too. Adderall is great.
25 Oct 2013
I was recently given adderall 20mg XR (taking 1 capsule daily) in genetic form to help me focus better since going back to college and working full-time. begantherwise healthy and have never been on any medications before. I'm only on day 2 and have been experiencing horrible upper thigh muscle pain, neck pain and dull headaches.
The headaches started the first capsule night while trying to sleep so I contributed that to maybe it wearing off. I woke up with that same headache and neck pain began. I went to work and it took 2 Tylenol, 1 Claritin, 3 Advil to bring it to a mild headache by that afternoon! Leg pain began morning of day 2 and has been constant. Im on Day 3, and skeptical to take my 3rd capsule So yes I'm attributing these symptoms to Adderall XR and will put a call in to my physican asap. I'll let you all know if these side effects are temporary or not!
15 days ago
I have been taking Adderall XR for nine years now and for the past six years I have had suffered with a lot of shoulder/neck tension. It's very frustrating; I have tried many many things and have finally found the answer! YOGA- yoga yoga! Yoga has truely been magical for me and I am amazed at how much better I feel when I go at least five days a week. I have also switched to eating a very low sugar and low-next to zero gluten diet. I have noticed that rice also causes tension. My diet and yoga have worked wonders for my body! Good luck. :)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
... genaric adderall 15mg and dont feel like it does what it is suposed to. do i need a higher dose because of my weight? and is the brand adderall ...
3 answers • 17 Nov 2009
... am having these weird side effects or i don't know what to call it?? About 25-30 minutes after i take the Adderall, I get super red hands, ...
4 answers • 18 Jan 2010
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) - I have just been diagnosed with ADD. This is my 3rd day of taking adderall 10mg in the morning. It ...
7 answers • 13 Aug 2011
Minnesota to visit family and realized really far from my house that I forgot my adderall script paper and I'm supposed to have them filled in 2 ...
2 answers • 31 May 2012