If you are allergic to penicillin, what would keflex cause or do to you if you take it?

This question has also been asked and answered here: Is it OK to take Keflex if I'm allergic to penicillin?

Keflex (cephalexin) is a cephalosporin antibitic and should be avoided or used with caution if you have a penicillin allergy. Please see link attached.

http://www.mcn.co.za/Medical_Treatment_Guidelines/penposter.pdf

bunnylady 30 Sep 2009

Thank you so much for the answer! My friend had asked me about taking keflex, so I decided to ask here to get the information that she needed(she had samples of keflex and no money for a doctor). Felt it was best to get more accurate information than for her to guess or just try it as she was bitten by a tick and it swelled into a "circle" and was making her sick again like one had previously when she was given amoxicillin for the previous bite but had none left. Thanks again!