If I am allergic to Penecillin, can I take sulfameth/trimethoprim?

The Sulfa is in a different catagory of antibiotics. Many people who can not take Penicillin can take Sulfa. There are not cross allergies. As long as you have never had any allergies to Sulfa drugs you should be ok. That being said, many people are allergic to Sulfa's too. It is a possibility you could be allergic to both. If you have never taken Sulfa drugs, the only way to find out is to take it or be allergy tested for it. If you have a rash after starting the Sulfa stop taking it and notify you healthcare provider right away. If you have swelling in your face or tongue or have difficulty breathing call 911.These could indicate a severe, life threatening allergy.