I"m about to have surgery in a few days . I was told not to take aspirin,is naproxin okay/?

yes, asprin, acetametaphine thin your blood so that is not good before surgery, naproxin has neither of those in them so it's okay

Anonymous 24 May 2011

Hi BRRRMARS, you should not take NSAIDS like naproxen and ibuprofen before surgery. It increase your chance of excessive bleeding just like asprin does. Tylenol (acetimitophen) is fine to take before surgery because it doesn't carry that same bleeding risk the NSAIDS and asprin have.

BRRMARS 24 May 2011

WOW, i'm sorry, i could have done you harm, my doctor told me the exact opposite, i'm truly sorry i'm glad somebody corrected me.

No, Naprosyn can also thin the blood so should be avoided as well.
Acetaminophen does not thin the blood and is safe to take before surgery.
Check with your doctor if you are unsure.

Hey gail,

Yep naproxen or naprosyn is an anti inflammatory that will thin the blood. It affects the platelets actually. Anyway, acetominophen is ok to take before surgery.

Good luck with the surgery,

Laurie

LaurieShay 24 May 2011

Ooops, I meant "yep" I agree with the previous post not "yep" to your question. It is NOT ok to take naproxen before surgery.

BRRMARS 24 May 2011

Wow, guys, i'm so sorry i almost killed this guy, my doctor told me the exact opposite, i'm glad you corrected my dumb butt. please forgive me i'm usuallly not this careless. i'm sorry

i would think not to take as it may thin your blood causing you bleed excessive !but it might be in your best interest to check with your doctor who can give you a more correct answer !or ask at your pre-op visit !

God bless & best wishes