I have pulmonary fibrosis and the doc prescribed acetylcysteine. What does this do for me?

Anonymous

Hi

GENERIC NAME: ACETYLCYSTEINE - INHALATION/ORAL (a-set-ill-SIST-een)
BRAND NAME(S): Mucomyst

This medication, when inhaled by mouth, works in the lung to thin mucous, making breathing easier. It is used to treat thick mucous secretions in chronic emphysema, bronchitis, pneumonia, cystic fibrosis and other related conditions. This medication is also swallowed by mouth as an antidote to acetaminophen overdose in order to prevent life-threatening liver damage.

OTHER USES: Acetylcysteine has also been swallowed by mouth to prevent kidney failure due to X-ray contrast products.