I gained 30 pounds after starting abilify. Has anyone else experienced this degree of weight gain?

Weight gain is a common side effect of Abilify. In studies, the exact percentage of people that gained a significant amount of weight varied from study to study, but most studies consistently showed that people taking Abilify were more likely to gain weight than people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredient).

While a small amount of weight gain is typical during treatment with Abilify, some people can gain very large amounts of weight while taking the drug. This weight gain is thought to increase the risk of diabetes or other health problems. Therefore, if you are noticing a rapid or large increase in weight while taking Abilify, please seek medical attention from the doc who prescribed the med.

Take care, be well, please.

peggy5329 3 Jan 2012

I am so glad to see this posting because the doc for my son insists that weight gain is not due to the abilify. My son has gained over 50 pounds and its alarming and we are not sure what to do next for his bipolar. It is very frustrating to be told one thing and experience another. Thank you for the post, Rajive Goel

peggy5329 3 Jan 2012

commenting again because I forgot to check the boxes to get email when anyone responds. still learning...

Anonymous

I have gained 30lbs as well on it and still on the drug as well. I can not do any exercise do to a bad back. I just put my self on a slim fast diet due to this drug. I will let you know if it helps in 3 weeks will be 1 month if I lose any weight, if not I am gonna have to go off Abilify even though it has helped me so. My sugar level has also gone up due to this drug cause Abilify contains sugar. Diebetes is in my family and if this continues I will stop it. I do not have diebetes yet. Do to the sugar in this drug this is why we have these side effects.

KellyJ 23 Aug 2011

Any idea if stopping the abilify will reverse the weight gain? I look like I'm pregnant. It's depressing on top of being depressed. I hate to go out in public or for anyone to see me. I'm on the atkins diet but just can't seem to lose any weight. I think I"m going to take myself off of it. Doctors talking about doing a medication wash so he can put me on a moia inhibitor. Does that cause weight gain as well?

KellyJ 23 Aug 2011

I meant maoi inhibitor. It's the "dopamax" typing:-)

Hi Kelly,

Sianness85 25 Jul 2012

Drugs do not affect everyone the same way. Saying "you will feel" is not true and scaremongering.

berlioz 26 Feb 2014

Your comments about abilify are helpful and at the same time frightening. I was diagnosed with anorexia years ago and although I have been managing the disease I am terrified of gaining weight. I am going to take myself off the abilify. I've not gained much weight yet but now am worried it might show up all at once. I'm hoping that it will come off in a hurry. The abilify has also, I think effected my work. I am making mistakes.