I cannot keep the canasa in my rectum. How far should it be inserted into the rectum?

Try to empty your bowel and bladder just before using the mesalamine suppository or enema. It may be best to use this medicine at bedtime.

Remove the outer wrapper from the suppository before inserting it. Avoid handling the suppository too long or it will melt in your hands.

For best results from the suppository, lie down after inserting it and hold in the suppository for one to three hours. The suppository will melt quickly once inserted and you should feel little or no discomfort while holding it in. Avoid using the bathroom during this time.
Shake the rectal enema liquid well just before each use.

For best results from the enema, stay lying down for at least 30 minutes after using the enema to allow the liquid to distribute throughout your intestines. Try to hold in the enema all night if possible. Avoid using the bathroom during this time.

If you are taking the Canasa suppository, inserting it a finger length, and it should "melt" and stay in. For the enema, if you lay for the recommended 30 mins before moving, I found that it did not leak. I did make sure that what I was wearing was not "new" as some of the canasa products did stain. Definitely clearing your bowels before going to bed helps.