I understand that diuretics, in particular CHLORTHALIDONE causes Na+ (sodium) excretion in urine and blocks Na+ re-absorption via its diuretic effects. Hence less Na+-> less extracellular fliud & plasma volume-> reduced cardiac output->lowers hypertension.
BUT, wouldn't the body make a physiological compensation by secreting renin release, as a result of this significant decrease in Na+ (sodium) -> therefore, causing vasconstriction and hence hypertension again? So what is the point of taking CHLORTHALIDONE or other diuretics, if the body is going to physiologically compensate for the Na+ loss and cause renin release, vasoconstriction-> hypertension again? Or would the body do this at a lower extent, i.e. it secretes renin to cause vasoconstrictin but not to the point where it causes hypertension?

I AM CONFUSED... PLEASE HELP!