How safe is prednisone for a diabetic?

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory steroid. It is used to treat many conditions such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, or breathing problems such as asthma.

Like all drugs Prednisone has side effects. The side-effect which will affect a diabetic is that Prednisone can reduce the abililty of the body to metabolise cabohydrates resulting in increases of blood-sugar. This means that a diabetic will need to monitor blood-glucose carefully and may need to increase diabetic medications whilst taking Prednisone.
The patient should be in close contact with their Doctor while on Prednisone.

Prednisone can be used in patients with diabetes, but blood sugar levels should be monitored carefully and doses of insulin or oral oral hypoglycemic drugs may need to be changed.