I suffer from migraines and occasionally get an injection of Torodol which works great. I was told today that they couldn't give me any at this time because of the Prednisone still being in my system.
This question has also been asked and answered here: How long does prednisone stay in your system for... I have bronchitis?
14 Jun 2011
The elimination half life of prednisone is around 3 to 4 hours. This is the time it takes for your body to reduce the plasma levels by half.
It usually takes around 5.5 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system.
With that in mind you could expect a dose or prednisone to be out of your system 16.5 to 22 hours later.
Other factors also need to be taken into account and include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
Hope this is of help.
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
1 answer • 6 Sep 2010
Went To Docs Yesterday For A Migraine That I Would've Rather Died Than Had. I Dont Remember What She Said It was. Can Anyone Help ?
4 answers • 15 Jun 2013
Last Tuesday I was told I had bronchitis and given an injection of prednisone at the doctor's office
... and sent home with 5 days of two 20 mg pills. I started my period that same day. Well, 5 days of antibiotics and the prednisone still I ...
2 answers • 23 Feb 2014
... start a prednisone dose to continue clearing up the lungs. Is it too soon to start the prednisone?
0 answers • 14 Dec 2015