I suffer from migraines and occasionally get an injection of Torodol which works great. I was told today that they couldn't give me any at this time because of the Prednisone still being in my system.
This question has also been asked and answered here: How long does prednisone stay in your system for... I have bronchitis?
14 Jun 2011
The elimination half life of prednisone is around 3 to 4 hours. This is the time it takes for your body to reduce the plasma levels by half.
It usually takes around 5.5 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system.
With that in mind you could expect a dose or prednisone to be out of your system 16.5 to 22 hours later.
Other factors also need to be taken into account and include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
Hope this is of help.
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
im taking the prednisone and cyclosporine so that it will tamper with the ammune system so the auto ammune system will stop, i know the risk of ...
1 answer • 13 Jun 2010
Went To Docs Yesterday For A Migraine That I Would've Rather Died Than Had. I Dont Remember What She Said It was. Can Anyone Help ?
4 answers • 15 Jun 2013
Last Tuesday I was told I had bronchitis and given an injection of prednisone at the doctor's office
... and sent home with 5 days of two 20 mg pills. I started my period that same day. Well, 5 days of antibiotics and the prednisone still I ...
2 answers • 23 Feb 2014
I took 60 mg of Prednisone for 10 days, then 30 mg for 3 days, 20mg for 2, 10mg for 1. How long before the meds are totally out of my system, and the ...
1 answer • 14 May 2014
... start a prednisone dose to continue clearing up the lungs. Is it too soon to start the prednisone?
0 answers • 14 Dec 2015