How long does it take to start to see results when taking 4mg/day (1 capsule)of Detrol LA?

Depending on the severity of your control problem, you should start seeing an improvement within the first week of taking it. Long acting drugs, which is the "LA" in the name "Detrol LA" sometimes need a longer time to build up in the body's system, but you should see it within that week. Your doctor should have discussed this with you.

Detrol doesn't work for everyone. There are some new drugs on the market that have less side effects. If Detrol doesn't work for you, ask your dr. or urologist if you can have a sample of one of the new anti-cholinergics that come in lotion form. They are a smooth-on lotion that you rub on your skin, quite pleasant, and work very quickly.

One downside to this newer generation of urgency control medications, though, is the cost. They are not on the "preferred medication" list of many insurance list, so the patient ends up paying a higher cost. But without the dry mouth and the lowered tolerance to heat, many people find that it is worth the added cost.

Good luck!