How long before amoxicillin will start to work?

Amoxicillin usually starts working in 24-72 hours showing some improvements if the organism is susceptible to amoxicillin. If you are not noticing any improvent in 3-4 days you should notify your Dr or healthcare provider.

bernzomatic 18 May 2011

she has a chronic sinus infection will this help?

DzooBaby 18 May 2011

I, personally and with my kids, have had no luck with amoxicillin for sinus infections. For one, amoxicillin works best on aerobic bacteria and sinus infections are usually caused by anaerobic bacterias. I dont know why Drs always want to prescribe amoxicillin as first line. I refuse it with my kids because it never works for them or if it does, as soon as they come off, the symptoms come right back. I think Augmentin works better. Augmentin is similar to amoxicillin but has a substance that breaks down the cell membrane of an anaerobic bacteria and allows the antibiotic to work better. If it has been a few days and there is no improvement, I would notify the Dr that it is not working.