How long before amoxicillin will start to work?

Amoxicillin usually starts working in 24-72 hours showing some improvements if the organism is susceptible to amoxicillin. If you are not noticing any improvent in 3-4 days you should notify your Dr or healthcare provider.

bernzomatic 18 May 2011

she has a chronic sinus infection will this help?

DzooBaby 18 May 2011

I, personally and with my kids, have had no luck with amoxicillin for sinus infections. For one, amoxicillin works best on aerobic bacteria and sinus infections are usually caused by anaerobic bacterias. I dont know why Drs always want to prescribe amoxicillin as first line. I refuse it with my kids because it never works for them or if it does, as soon as they come off, the symptoms come right back. I think Augmentin works better. Augmentin is similar to amoxicillin but has a substance that breaks down the cell membrane of an anaerobic bacteria and allows the antibiotic to work better. If it has been a few days and there is no improvement, I would notify the Dr that it is not working.

bernzomatic 18 May 2011

she takes high blood pressure medicine she is 82 years old.

DzooBaby 18 May 2011

Even so, I think she would be better off with Augmentin. It shouldnt have any negative effects taking it with blood pressure meds or have a negative effect on her blood pressure. Sorry for jumping to the conclusion she was your child! It is just that amoxicillin is so often prescribed to kids with infections but my answer is the same for anyone.

Vulpesvulpes 1 Mar 2014

Augmentin IS amoxicillin, it's just a specific trade name for it.