How does paxil CR work?

Paxil CR contains paroxetine is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).

Paroxetine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced. The efficacy of paroxetine in the treatment of major depressive disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is presumed to be linked to potentiation of serotonergic activity in the central nervous system resulting from inhibition of neuronal reuptake of serotonin (5-hydroxy-tryptamine, 5-HT).

http://www.drugs.com/pro/paxil-cr.html

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/paxil-cr.html