21 Apr 2012
The Launch of Onglyza will definitely hold a broad market in India. In India with around 51 Million diabetes patients.. India promises to be amongst the most lucrative diabetes markets in the world. In 2011 the total sales of Insulin and Non-Insulin Anti-diabetics reached US$ 448 Million. Although, this represents just a fraction of the global sales.
1) IMARC expects DPP-IV Inhibitors to occupy 17% of the total Non-Insulin Anti-diabetics market by 2015.
2) The total number of diabetes patients in India is expected to reach 87 Million by 2030.
3) Enhanced Medical Infrastructure – Numbers of doctors.
4) Treatment of Chronic disease.
5) Greater Health Insurance coverage.
6) New market in existing white space.
Growth Strategy that should be following:
1) Product development (existing markets, new products)-
Bristol-Myers Squibb tied up with Astra Zeneca to develop compound for type-2 diabetes. In India they have existing market here they come with Onglyza (saxagliptin) as a new product.
2) India is the first Asian country where Onglyza is available.
3) Penetration pricing –In India Onglyza will launch at 1/5th of its price in US. One tablet would be price at Rs 38.
4) Onglyza will directly compete with Merck’s Januvia in India. In comparison with Januvia, Onglyza will get advantage because of its penetrating price.
The notion of diversification depends on the subjective interpretation of “new” market and “new” product, which should reflect the perceptions of customers rather than managers. Indeed, products tend to create or stimulate new markets; new markets promote product innovation.
- Onglyza Information for Consumers
- Onglyza Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Onglyza (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
this is to study the feasibility of a possible launch of Lafutidine in India
1 answer • 6 May 2010
My question is when should I take the Onglyza? I usually take the Metfromin after breakfast and again with dinner. The Onglyza is.5MG. I was ...
1 answer • 29 Dec 2010
I have been onglyza for 7 months and started getting migraines about 3 months ago - could the medication be causing this?
1 answer • 10 Jan 2011
I have Type 2 diabetes for about 3 years and I am currently on Amaryl twice a day. I have very high sugar readings in the morning. My doctor put me ...
6 answers • 9 Mar 2011