How can I curb my panic/anxiety attacks when in public settings?

Learn how to control your breathing. Hyperventilation brings on many sensations (such as lightheadedness and tightness of the chest) that occur during a panic attack. Deep breathing, on the other hand, can relieve the symptoms of panic. By learning to control your breathing, you develop a coping skill that you can use to calm yourself down when you begin to feel anxious. If you know how to control your breathing, you are also less likely to create the very sensations that you are afraid of.
good luck ...

Anonymous

Hi Hummmerluvr. I don't have the major panick attacks that I once used to have. I was on medication to help curb them. What I found to work, well, help might be a better word, was to concentrate, put a thought in my mind, concentrate on that one thought. In my case often it would be translation. I speak several lanugages, and would mentally translate a scentence from one into the other. It worked. Took my mind of off my anxiety. Sounds silly perhaps but I still manage to use it.best to you

puckiemull 22 Aug 2011

Morning Pledge,
How have you been?Any tea going??

caringsonbj 22 Aug 2011

good to see you Pledge I hope despite the heat that things are going well by the way I am on my second cup (Iced tea) I know I might need to cut back But... Billy

Hi there,
I also suffer from panic/anxiety,panic attacks are not so frequent since i went on meds to help with them but i do suffer from anxiety,and often when in public places it does escalate into a panic attack,i find that trying to think of different things to distract yourself from the panic!
Blueyes and Pledge gave great advice,sometimes wheather its breathing or thinking differently helps,depending on the situation!! I make lists in my head of things i have to do but i suffer from ocd,so that maybe from that,but it eases my panic of the situation i am in at the time!(If that makes sense)??
Best of luk with it

Dear Hummmerluvr:

puckiemull 22 Aug 2011

Very good advice Billy.. You're right sometimes therapy works better than meds in certain cases.. Hopefully this person will try out the therapy and learn the tools to guide them to normality again..

caringsonbj 22 Aug 2011

Punckiemull I appreciate that! I do hope they find a medication or a combination of meds that do help, best wishes Billy