Herpes Simplex - Do Valtrex and acyclovir have the same effectiveness when treating herpes?

Valtrex (valacyclovir) are Zovirax (acyclovir) are very similar, but have different FDA approved indications.

Indications and Usage for Valtrex see http://www.drugs.com/pro/valtrex.html

*Herpes Zoster
Valtrex is indicated for the treatment of herpes zoster (shingles).
*Genital Herpes
Valtrex is indicated for the treatment or suppression of genital herpes in immunocompetent individuals and for the suppression of recurrent genital herpes in HIV-infected individuals.
*Cold Sores (Herpes Labialis)
Valtrex is indicated for the treatment of cold sores (herpes labialis).

Indications and Usage for Zovirax http://www.drugs.com/pro/zovirax.html