What helps with hair loss while taking methotrexate. Everyday my brush and shirt are full of hair?

Hair loss is an unwanted side effect of methotrexate. There is no specific treatment to prevent hair loss. Some suggest taking leucovorin (a form of folic acid) 8-12 hours after methotrexate may decrease this potential side effect. You will need to see your doctor for Leucovorin.
The good news is once the medication is discontinued, or with time, the shedding will gradually resolve.

I've been taking weekly oral doses of MTX for a cutaneous lymphoma for 14 years. My thinning hair led me to make an appointment with my dermatologist for next week. He is talking about prescribing topical Rogaine. I'll keep the group updated. Nikki

PWCTS 29 Dec 2012

I saw my treating doctor and he said my hair loss is due to aging. If it was due to MTX I would have started losing it within the first 30 days.

IAMKR 16 Jul 2015

I was on MTX for about 5 months I started with prednisone and MTX then after 3 months I stopped taking the Prednisone. I thought i noticed my hair thinning and one after showering I looked down and it looked like my little yorkie had jumped in the tub. The drain was full of hair, and when I got out an combed it huge amounts came out in the come. When I went to the Doctor I told him to stop the med-he stopped it and now 2 months later I am in so much pain i don;t know what to do. I am guessing i'll have to stay on the prednisone and take my chances with these side effects. I know this sounds very vane but I am going on 70 and with the weight gain and the hair loss this is too much.

I also suffered from severe hair loss while taking mtx. My hair was long and very full prior to treatment, and became thin with obvious sparse spots and very unhealthy. I decided to bite the bullet and chop it off. I cut it quite short, and during the growing out time period it returned to its former health. I am still on mtx, but I think that after time our system is able to adapt to it somewhat. Although its scary and annoying, my experience was that time and patience were all I could give. Good luck!!! Fingers are crossed for you!! Meghan

loubelles101 21 Jul 2015

Hi Meghan, I am still new to been on Methrotrexate and I am noticing hair loss. How long was the wait time you experienced in terms of your system adapting to it?
Thank You!:)