What helps with hair loss while taking methotrexate. Everyday my brush and shirt are full of hair?

Hair loss is an unwanted side effect of methotrexate. There is no specific treatment to prevent hair loss. Some suggest taking leucovorin (a form of folic acid) 8-12 hours after methotrexate may decrease this potential side effect. You will need to see your doctor for Leucovorin.
The good news is once the medication is discontinued, or with time, the shedding will gradually resolve.

I also suffered from severe hair loss while taking mtx. My hair was long and very full prior to treatment, and became thin with obvious sparse spots and very unhealthy. I decided to bite the bullet and chop it off. I cut it quite short, and during the growing out time period it returned to its former health. I am still on mtx, but I think that after time our system is able to adapt to it somewhat. Although its scary and annoying, my experience was that time and patience were all I could give. Good luck!!! Fingers are crossed for you!! Meghan

I've been taking weekly oral doses of MTX for a cutaneous lymphoma for 14 years. My thinning hair led me to make an appointment with my dermatologist for next week. He is talking about prescribing topical Rogaine. I'll keep the group updated. Nikki

PWCTS 29 Dec 2012

I saw my treating doctor and he said my hair loss is due to aging. If it was due to MTX I would have started losing it within the first 30 days.