My doctor has had me on .5 mg 2x a day of Klonopin for Generalized Anxiety Disorder for about 45 days now. While the medication seems to be helping, I don't like some of the side-effects (had a rather bad case of aggression and depression today) and am worried about becoming dependent and going through a long and unpleasant withdrawal down the road. Is 45 days at 1 mg per day long enough to have become physically dependent? I would like to try a half dose for about a week, then stop completely from there, but I am worried about some of the more major side effects (like seizures). My doctor is a hard man to get a hold of, so I'd rather try to get off the meds myself, but I'm not sure if a longer titration schedule would be more appropriate.

Additionally, my anxiety is more situational based (dates, parties, speeches, etc.). Can I take the Klonopin on an "as needed" basis? Should I maybe look into Xanax or Xanax XR as a possible substitute to use 1-3 times per week as needed? Any thoughts would be appreciated.