9 Nov 2009
"... Management: Immunocompromised patients (especially HIV)
1. Highly active Antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in HIV
1. Critical to prevent CMV organ involvement
2. Risk in HIV highest when CD4 Count <50/mm3
2. Indications for Viral DNA polymerase inhibitors
1. CMV Retinitis (Urgent therapy)
2. Clinically Significant colitis or other end-organ
3. Treatment of asymptomatic CMV not indicated
1. Granulocytopenia and Anemia risk (25%)
2. Foscarnet (Foscavir)
1. Nephrotoxicity (33%)
3. Electrolyte disturbance (Hypokalemia, Hypocalcemia)
3. Cidofovir (Vistide)
1. CMV Retinitis responds to 14-21 day in 75-90% cases
2. Patients failing one drug should move to the other
1. Cidofovir 5 mg/kg IV each week for 2 weeks
2. Chronic maintenance (prevents relapse in 4-8 weeks)
1. Cidofovir 5 mg/kg every other week"
Hope this is helpful.
See also http://www.drugs.com/mtm/cidofovir.html
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - I've been told I have chronic Epstein Barr Virus and I spike quite
... often. The symptoms are fever,fatigue,sore joints, just as I felt when I had mono & hepatitis at the same time. Can anything be done to help ...
1 answer • 29 Mar 2010
... treatment because I am an immunocompetent adult. I also happen to be a family physician. Subsequently, in January-February of 2011, I developed ...
1 answer • 18 Aug 2011
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection - I have a child that is 5 he was born with CMV. My question is im wanting to have another child but wont to know the ...
1 answer • 20 Sep 2011
I am a 42 years old woman and I got blind because of diabetes. recently I received kidney and pancreas transplant. The doctors prescribed me to use ...
1 answer • 7 Jan 2012
I need some advice. My son is highly infected with cmv. He is on no medication has in home therapy 1 time a week for 1 hour. And they are useless. ...
1 answer • 17 Jun 2014