Which pill is better for someone suffering neuropathy? Gabapentin or Lyrica?

I have taken both. I found that the Lyrica had too many side effects for me and was way too expensive. I take gabapentin and its as good if not better then the lyrica. Way cheaper too.

mytee12005 30 May 2013

Thank you. How many milligrams of Gabapentin do you take a day?

I know that Gabapentin works great for neuropathy. I take 2400 mg. and it works wonders. I don't have very much pain during the night, which was a real problem for me. If you have to work, it makes me a little drowsy, so take it on a weekend or early in the evening, so you don't have a groggy feeling in the morning.

I haven't taken Lyrica, but I understand it's a good medication. The next med that the docs want me to try is Lyrica. I've been on Gabapentin for over 2 years and unless I have to, I don't want to change.

As I understand it, Lyrica increases appetite, weight gain and drowsiness.

leslie1947 30 May 2013

I'm about to start Lyrica. Does anyone know if Medicare pays for this drug?

mytee12005 2 Jun 2013

At this point, I discontinue the Lyrica for it was making me too drowsy and made me gaim weight. I also discontinue the Cymbalta for it gave me stomach pain something like gastritis. I'm taking 1200mg of Gabapentin but I still get the numbness and burning sensation on my hands and this is very painful. I need to ask my doctor if I should take more but as it is it makes me a little drowsy but I need to get rid of this pain and fast for it is unbearable, I find using ice a little helpful.

I've tried both and I was very allergic to Lyrica, yet I am able to take gabapentin. I have some major cognitive side effects from Gabapentin (Neurontin), my memory is affected, and I must hunt for words, it's just blown my vocab out of the water. But it helps a bit with my severe nerve pain.

Best wishes to you.

cupcake7667 15 Mar 2013

Hi!!! I was on lyrica and sure enough in two days I had blurred vision and muscle constrictions. Blech! Talk to you tomorrow.
XO

MacIntosh12 9 May 2013

HI, sweet Cupcake!
Did you get hives from Lyrica, or cankles?
I need to email you, will do asap.
Love to you, my buddy!

I've tried both, and Cymbalta. The Gabapentin caused problems with my speech - it was like I had a word on my tongue but couldn't say it to save my life! I'm on Lyrica now, and once my body adapted to the sleepiness it has worked well for me. Cymbalta and Savella also help with nerve pain, so you may want to check those as well. Good luck!

pickles503 30 May 2013

Eliza, that was a good answer.

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

Definitely Cymbalta is not for me but I haven't tried the other one. The Gabapentin although it's used by people with epilepsy, it has proven that it worked for nerve pain however I'll have to see what the dosage is because I use 900mg per day and I'm still getting lots of pain. Gabapentin is way cheaper that any other ones.

I too have taken both having severe neuropathy in my feet and fingers. Lyrica 300mgs 3x a day but like alot of people say,weight gain. I gained 40 lbs in 1 year,only side effect I had. Gabapentin,now I take 300mgs 4x a day,not quite as strong as Lyrica(a close second) with no side effects.I have heard memory and speech problems and a few others. Remember everybodys body is different so they effect people not all the same. best of luck

I took Gabapentin 300mg. I hallucinated wildly, had to stop.

pickles503 14 Jun 2013

Hi deeds. I've heard that Gabapentin causes Hallucinations a few times before. Hmmm Interesting

My boyfriend takes Lyrica it makes a world of differnce he can tell when he dont take it cause his feet hurt bad

Your doctor should allow you to try each. Gabapentin caused my brain to be confused and not be able to carry on a complex discussion. I could not take it and work. I take Lyrica which causes less confusion but just as gabapentin did I am unstable on my feet and must use a cane with either. I have post-surgical neuropathy.

I have tried both, also, and had much better results with Lyrica with no side effects after 3 days. The first few nights it made me a little drunk feeling, but that went away shortly. No trouble at all since.

MacIntosh12 7 May 2013

Hi Auntniknik, I've not seen you in ages! Did you drop off the edge of the world my friend? Glad to see you back!
Your friend,
Lara

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

May be since I tried Lyrica 150mg 3 times per day was not enought but it did increased my appetite and made me a little sleepy.

hi i have been taking lyrica for over a year ,it takes a while to get into your system but it takes the severeness out of the pain but leaves me drowsy and can't think properly sometimes but i am way better on it then off it. i haven't tried gabapentin as yet

I've taken both and I prefer Gabepentin a lot more than Lyrica! I have a sensitive digestive system and Lyrica caused me a lot of stomach issues. I only take 300mg of Gabapentin in the morning and afternoon and then take 900mg at night. That way it helps me sleep and helps the pain throughout the day.

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

How many hours before you go to sleep do you take the 900mg dosage of Gabapentin?

I have neuropathy real bad. I have taken Gabapentin at 2000 mg a day and it did nothing. I was told that lyrica was in the same family as gabapentin. My doctor put me on amitriptyline 100 mg at night and it did wonders. It is normaly used for depression but it also worked for me.Actually it did both when I quit hurting I wasn't so depresed about it.

debhill67 15 Jun 2013

I've also taken Gabapentin 400mg 3 times a day it really did'nt help much before that I was on Lyrica 150 Mg 3 times a day too many side effects now I'm on the Amitriptyline 100 Mg at night and 100 Mg in morning I feel a little drowsy in a.m. so I try to wait until lunch yo take it. It seems to be helping Thank God. Hope this was helpful to someone and there not expensive.

I have taken both Gabapentin and Lyrica. I found out the hard way that the Lyrica gave me seizures. So, for me the Gabapentin is a better choice. They are indeed weaker but still work well. You may not have the "allergy" to Lyrica that I had that caused the seizures, but you never know!

mytee12005 13 Jun 2013

I rather not, you don't fool around with your brain. I think that if my doctor increases the dosage of Gabapentin, it could do me good for I'm already used to it and don't feel as drowsy but it makes me a little sleepy.

mytee12005 15 Jun 2013

MY DOCTOR NOW PUT ME ON GABAPENTIN 300mg AS ONE, ONE AND TWO AT BEDTIME.

You shouldnt limit yourself to just two different meds. Not everyone is the same and there are many different kinds of nerve pain medications.