What drug is good for autism and panic disorder?

Effexor XR is associated with the treatment of:

Anxiety and Stress
Bipolar Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Hot Flashes
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Panic Disorder
Postpartum Depression
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder

Take care,

Anonymous 23 Sep 2012

Hello maso. We posted at the same moment. Have a great day my friend.

Anonymous 23 Sep 2012

Nice timing, you also have a great day pledge!!!

Hello emtfiregirl. Luvox, Anafranil and Zoloft are used in the treatment of Autism. These drugs are used for children from the age of six and up. Regards pledge

Anonymous 23 Sep 2012

Dear pledge and Maso, thank you for listing this, my room mate, ken, the older man I give care to, has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, as of late, pluse the dementia, I have added this to my list of favorite, they have tried him on Seroquel, xr and it had the opposite effect on him, but I will mention these meds to his pcp on Thursday, as his OCD is getting worse. Thanks gentlemen, patti

Anonymous 23 Sep 2012

Hello my friend, and you are welcome, have a great day!

Not sure what you mean by, "good for". My son is 25 and autistic, very high functioning. It has always been a tight rope walk to find the right drug cocktail for him. The first thing to remember is that every autistic person is unique. In fact, I think that the word as a diagnosis is on its way out. There are so many symptoms associated with autism and the same symptom in two different people could have a different source. Since you are concerned about panic disorder, before answering anything, I'd have to know more about the person in question: how old, other symptoms, general personality, onset of symptoms, etc. Also, like "autism", "panic disorder" can mean a hundred different things to fifty different people.

Truly depends on his individual symptoms and their severity. Just a matter of time b4 any particular antipsychotic is approved for the diagnosis of the DSM year, so don't b fooled by that. The key is does it help. Best of luck.

Hi emtfiregirl, are you writing for yourself or for someone else. A child or an adult? Unfortunately you cannot cure autism spectrum disorder. I am former special education teacher, and I am very familiar with the ASD. It is important to know the age of the person you are talking about. Autism seems to be partly related to OCD, in some way, but many of the OCD medications are not good for children. Also, there are social communication issues also. There are no drugs available to help with the socialization/communication disconnects caused by ASD. They need work, and cooperation between whomever is working with the person, and the home. This is the most important aspect of dealing with both of these disorders. Drugs aren't always the answer, though many wish that were the case. It takes hard work to form new pathways to to the brain, and help pick up social cues, communication cues, and relax, as both panic disorder, and OCD have a high anxiety factor to them.

Hello emtfiregirl - I hope after reading many of the responses here you will note that there is "no one drug or treatment" that is going to work. People here have great concern and empathy for people dealing with autism and also their caregivers and educators. It could very well be that "structure" and "routine" are more important than what drugs work. There are so many... but I hope that someone here has touched on something that will help you with your query. Also, knowing more about the person is paramount in giving even an educated guess here.

I hope you will share more with us... so that we can support you in this journey.