Does this effexor cause weight gain?

Anonymous

Loss of appetite and weight loss are common side effects of this medication and significant weight loss is a severe side effect, which if you experience , you must seek immediate medical attention.-

Side Effects of Effexor - for the Consumer

Effexor

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Effexor:

Anxiety; blurred vision; changes in taste; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flushing; headache; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness; weight loss; yawning.

caringsonbj 16 Jul 2011

Good to see you my friend-

Hey patti,

As maso pointed out, it is more likley to cause weight loss than weight gain. Though everyone responds differently to these medications so if you find that your appetite increases, try to stick with the low calorie foods. I take Pristiq which is very similar to Effexor and have been able to lose weight over the past few months but I have had to really change my eating habits.

Best wishes,

Laurie

I am just going to add this in my young years when I went through an episode of this and panic the doctor talked with me about weight and various medications, I was told that some people who are depressed and deal with anxiety tend to do one of two things either loose or gain weight, I suspect that if can be a combination of the depressed person and perhaps the medicine as well. I wish you the very best!

Hello there Patti1280. Just to add on to whats allready been said. I was on effexor and while taking it, had no weight gain, and very little if any weight loss. I really stayed much the same, in regards to the weight department. Heres hopeing it helps you, if you're planning to begin to take it.best wishes to you.

Effexor ramped up my appetite 10 fold. Fruits, vegetables, junk food, good food. If it was edible I would eat it. Stomach full, I was still hungry. I had to stop Effexor after I had gained over 20 pounds. My appetite was raving, I could not control it.

fr0ggy7 11 Jan 2013

Hi Harry, I have had the exact same response to Effexor as you stated in your comment. I was wondering why I was gaining so much weight. I have ask my doctor and they were just going to keep an eye on my weight. Humm I am doing that on a daily basis. I have gained over 20 lbs in the last year and have been on Effexor for approximately a year. My question to you is, do you take a different medicine now or did you stop all together? If you are taking something else and it is working for you, may I ask what it is? And have you lost any of your weight after stopping Effexor? Thank you for your time.