Does Prednisone affect your hormones?

Good morning,

Yes this medication affects your hormone levels.-

Prednisone belongs to a family of drugs called corticosteroids that is often prescribed when a person's body does not produce enough natural steroid hormones. Prednisone also alters the functioning of the immune system and is used to treat several diseases in people who have normal corticosteroid levels, such as lupus, multiple sclerosis, arthritis and severe allergic reactions. Because prednisone affects hormone levels in the body, it likewise affects the organs that make up the endocrine system. This includes the adrenal glands.Prednisone has the general effect of suppressing the function of the adrenal glands, thereby reducing the levels of hormones secreted by the adrenal glands. Cortisol, a hormone that plays an important role in the body's response to stress, is greatly suppressed even after taking low doses of prednisone.-

Take care.-

Jerseyrose 19 Aug 2010

Doesn't Cortisol help boost energy? Why does Prednisone greatly help with energy levels if Cortisol is diminished? thank you for your help!!