Does Paxil contain MAOI?

Paxil does not contain an MAOI. Paxil is an SSRI, which is a safer group of antidepressants.

However, please double check this with a pharmacist, take care.

Best wishes!

Hello jking2010. MAOI (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor) is not an ingredient or addtitive, its a family of antidepressants that work differently from other antidepressant drugs such as the cyclic, ssris etc. They are prescribed when the other anti-depressants fail to show any improvement. Thier drawback is that you need to stay on a special diet and they as well have more side effects than the other antidepressant drugs. The bright side to MAOI, is that they are very successfull in the treatment of depression. Best of wishes,pledge

Hey jking,

No, paxil is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) where as MAOI stands for monoamineoxidase inhibitor which is a different kind of antidepressant all together.

Laurie

LaurieShay 22 Dec 2011

oops, didn't see the other answers before I answered, sorry for the repeat info

We all have monoamine oxidase n our bodies. MAOI drugs inhibit our monamine
Oxidase so that by certain pathways more serotonin can be available to b able to elevate mood. Paxil is a drug that by certain pathways also allow for serotonin to be more available by the body by preventing the reuptake of serotonin. Paxil is an antidepressant that does that is not considered a MAOI. It is a SSRI... a serum serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Paxil has less side effects and is in many ways a better drug for depression. The. MAOI inhibitors are much older drugs and have many side effects. Also certain foods and red wine, when ingested, have harmful reactions with MAOIs.