Does omeprazole cause liver damage?

Although uncommon omeprazole can cause liver damage.

A 62-year-old man with erosive esophagitis developed signs and symptoms of hepatic disease 17 days after the start of therapy with omeprazole 20 mg per day. Five days after presentation, the patient died from complications associated with fulminant hepatic failure. Autopsy findings included massive central zone necrosis and hemorrhage with proliferation of bile ducts.

Hepatic side effects have included elevations in serum transaminases, alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin, and rare cases of hepatitis and hepatic encephalopathy. Fatal fulminant hepatic failure attributed to omeprazole has also been reported.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/omeprazole-side-effects.html