Does Latuda help the severe depression associated with Bi Polar Disorder?

Hey Dave, usually latuda is used for the treatment of schizophrenia, that is the manufacturer's stated purpose for the drug, but it appears that some psychiatrists use it as an off-label drug for bipolar disorder. But it has not yet gained FDA approval for primary treatment of bipolar, so it's hard to venture a guess as to it's effectiveness for severe depression.

Anonymous 19 Oct 2011

Hi Dave, Dave here, slattery is so correct in her answer! There are far better drugs out there than Latuda. For one it has to many side effects. Are you seeing a Psychiatrists or a General Doctor? If not You really need to see a Psychiatrists. A Lot of GP's are prescribing these very powerful drugs and do not have the special knowledge to handle these drugs. Good Luck Dave C

Anonymous 19 Oct 2011

Hi Dave, Dave C here again. Welcome to the group! I am Bipolar-2. You sound new to bipolar disease, I call it disease, not a disorder. I just wanted to expand a little as an after thought to my last answer. This support group you have found here has literally changed my life, in so many positive ways. Feel free to ask any question even if you think it is unimportant! By you asking a question helps me, in dealing with my bipolar"Disease". One thing, do as much reading as you can about bipolar. Most of all research what ever drugs they may want to put you on. You can do that right here Many times as everyone will tell you, it takes a while to find the correct drug for you. But do research in any drug they may give you, so will be fully informed of all aspects of that particular drug. (my personal opinion) there are better drugs available for bipolar "Disease". So glad you joined our group, use it allot. There are some brilliant and knowledgeable people here, and years of experience to draw from. Hang in Dave C

Dave38 19 Oct 2011

Thanks Dave, I was diagnosed with Bi Polar about six years ago. I've tried alot of different medications, I'm currently on Amitriptyline,Triavil and Xanax It's very difficult for me to speak about my problems, I recently had to retire early because of my inability to interact in social situations, that has made the depression worse

slattery 19 Oct 2011

Dave, check those drugs out for yourself, amitriptyline and traivil are advertised as being used to treat depression, and in some instances, schizophrenia. If they are telling you that you have bipolar disorder, then why is the psychiatrist giving you these drugs? Often it is hard to get an honest answer from a psychiatrist, but I would want to know why I am not being given traditional bipolar meds if that is what my diagnosis is. Dave gave you some excellent advice - do lots of research on what you are consuming, and make a list of all the questions you would like your doctor to address and answer for you. Don't hold back, because it is you who are battling this thing, and you are the consumer of these drugs. Welcome, and good luck!

Anonymous 19 Oct 2011

Hey Dave, so you have been around the block with bipolar. I had to retire also I know just Depressing that can be. My whole life revolved around my work. I had a manic attack while at work and just quit. I had no idea that was going to happen. I am 60's and just have been diagnosed BP. I had plans to work a lot longer. My work was who I was. Seems that I lost my identity. It's been a rough road ever sense. Doing better thanks to this group. Stay in touch Dave

jrpeterson54 15 Dec 2012

My Dr. just put me on Latuda to treat Bi Polar II .. I suffer from Hypomania, but have had many, many bouts with severe depression in my adult life. What meds are the best for Hypomania, please? I don't want to be on a drug if it is not effectve .. just a waste of time and money, not to mention the health hazards of not being treated effectively for Bi Polar II. Someone mentioned there are better drugs than Latuda, and would like to know, please, which ones are most effective. My Dr. said there are no meds that FDA has approved soley for Bi Polar II. Thank you all for your input and help .. I really need it, especially here at the holiday season, where I lost my only sister to brain tumors at Christmastime and this is very difficult time for me each year.

slattery 15 Dec 2012

Hi Jrpeterson, tnx for putting me "on" to for a bit lol... haven't been visiting the site for a while, for multiple reasons myself! I don't know, but just seems to me that latuda, which is not yet (to the best of my knowledge?) approved for bipolar by the FDA, is sort of a harsh or speculative drug for bipolar II... the less severe form of the illness, which more often manifests itself w/bouts of depression. DO KNOW that a favored drug for bipolar II is very often Lamictal (which I've never taken myself; depakote works fine for me... handles mania awfully well, and can be upped in no time, if there's a need for that)... but might at LEAST ask your doc why Latuda, as opposed to something proven like Lamictal. And with the latter, I do see that folks rave about it, seems to work like a gem, with few side effects, and (they say) negligible weight gain. How it works for fully blown MANIA'S, or manic edisodes, I don't know.