Does coffee 2 hours before or after a dose of fosamax alter its effectiveness?

Coffee 2 hours after a Fosamax does should be fine, but coffee 2 hours before a dose is not recommended and may affect the dose.

Important information about how to take Fosamax

Do not take a Fosamax tablet if you cannot sit upright or stand for at least 30 minutes. Fosamax can cause serious problems in the stomach or esophagus (the tube that connects your mouth and stomach). You will need to stay upright for at least 30 minutes after taking this medication.

Take the Fosamax tablet first thing in the morning, at least 30 minutes before you eat or drink anything or take any other medicine.
Take each dose with a full glass (6 to 8 ounces) of water. Use only plain water (not mineral water) when taking a Fosamax tablet.

For at least the first 30 minutes after taking a Fosamax tablet, do not lie down or recline; do not eat or drink anything other than plain water; and do not take any other medicines including vitamins, calcium, or antacids.

http://www.drugs.com/fosamax.html