Does ativan have the same effect as xanax?

They both belong to the same class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Yes, they have similar effects. They are typically used to treat anxiety and insomnia.
Xanax may work a little quicker but the effects will not last as long as Ativan.

Suzanne everything that she told you is really it in a nutshell, I have had experience with both, now the Xanax I have used for panic (at this point in time I am on the extended release) it seems to enter the system and I get by on a.m. and pm, I could use a little more than that but I made the decision it's just best not to do that because the more I might take the more I could possibly need, you take care and best wishes, (Billy)

puckiemull 6 Feb 2011

Thanx for reply.
Yea im on 0.5micrograms of xanax twice daily but it isnt helping,going back to physc this week just wanted to know what to suggest to him.My anxiety and panic is getting worse as everyday goes by and my physc is not the best and i want to have all my facts right before going into him.

caringsonbj 6 Feb 2011

I have a ? How long have you been on the Xanax? have you ever taken Ativan? are you more nervous or do you feel panic? sorry I should have asked you these questions before now