Does anyone notice weight gain while using amitriptyline?

That is one of the side effects for that class of drugs.

I take another version of that drug called Nortriptyline for prevention of migraines. Yes, I have noticed weight gain also. It's one of those things you just have to weigh the side effects against the the good it will do you. Although I am going to stop taking this drug as soon as I can.

Amitriptyline side affects include weight gain. I found this out the hard way - after I gained 15 pounds. It reduces your metabolism, makes you crave creamy, high fat foods and increases your appetite. Once I knew that, I was able to get the weight gain under control.

I never realized that it could make you gain weight until I read some of these answers. WOW what an eye opener for me. I was wondering why I was gaining weight when I don't do anything but throw up alot due to cancer issues right now. I am on 50mg at bedtime and have actually gained some weight back I really didn't want to but I did and this seems to explain why. I will mention it to the doctor because they couldn't figure out why I was gaining now. Thanks guys you have helped in a way you may not know.

I've been on amitriptyline for years with NO weight gain & NO side effects. I had been taking the generic made by Qualitest Pharmaceuticals for years & never gained an ounce and had NO side effects for years. Then the mail order pharmacy sent me a generic made by Sandoz Inc. I gained TONS of weight in less than 4 months and I had nearly every side effect on the list! But I didn't know they were side effects. I thought I was sick. I went to many Doctors because in addition to the weight gain, I felt very, very sick. I thought I must have had a stomach tumor as I was so swelled up and in so much pain (even had an ultrasound.) Then, I had to take meds for vertigo (severe unexplained dizziness,) and meds for severe reflux (heartburn.) I even went to the eye doctor for blurred vision and got steroid eye drops! I had tons of costly tests. Finally, I figured it out myself. All of my problems were identical to the side effects of amitriptyline. It was not a coincidence.

lking2619 24 Jul 2010

WOW! That is amazing. I take 25 mg of amitriptyline and 100 mg of topamax at bed time for migraines. I have noticed a weight gain and decrease in energy. I am not entirely sure that the amitriptyline is helping as much as the topamax because when I ran out I felt a lot better (but the doctor seems to think that I need both). Your information was very helpful and I know that I will be looking into who makes this version of amitriptyline. Hopefully I can find a better version for me like you found for you. Thank you for the information.

Yes, I sure did, 20lbs and I could have kept going. I just weaned off finally from 50 mg to 25mg and then just stopped. Now I'm hoping to see the lbs melt off.

Hi i guess i was one of the luck ones, i didn't gain any weight or get any bad side effects

this is just one of the side effects (or should I say effects of this particular group of drugs

I have been on a high dose of amitriptyline (150 mg) for over a yeah and I have gained a huge amount of weight.I have always weighed between 53-55kgs except when pregnant.I now weigh 82 kgs.I have very strong cravings for sweets.its a real struggle not to eat them.I had to go to my doctor to try and get off it.I'm on it because of bad post natal depression and even worse anxiety.I can't stay on endep because I'm becoming more and more depressed about my weight.I near kill myself with yoga and the treadmill only to lose 2kgs... from what I've learnt low doses of this Med doesn't case weight gain.I am also really tired all the time...