Why does a doctor send a urine drug test to a lab instead of looking at the results?

Be glad he does. The ones done in the office are very unreliable

jbalbi61 30 Apr 2013

Thank you but I was looking for details.

The test in the lab are much more precise. They are more sensitive and can test for a greater amount of substances. The lab has less of a chance to get a false positive or false negative.Here is what wikipedia says about lab testing:
Laboratory-based drug testing is done in two steps. The first step is the screening test, which is an immunoassay based test applied to all samples. The second step, known as the confirmation test, is usually undertaken by a laboratory using highly specific chromatographic techniques and only applied to samples that test positive during the screening test.[23] Screening tests are usually done by immunoassay (EMIT, ELISA, and RIA are the most common). A "dipstick" drug testing method which could provide screening test capabilities to field investigators has been developed at the University of Illinois.[24]

they do this because the test that they do in their office are just a preliminary, quick test and they aren't as accurate as the test that are done in a lab.
(Please excuse my spelling, lol )
Hope my answer helps!
~~happybrandee~~