What is the difference in Xanax and Valium? Both are benzos, right?

Hello Franny 822. Xanax is a fast acting Benzodiazepine. Valium is a slow acting Benzodiazepine. Xanax is used for high stress moments. Valium is used for GAD. or general anxiety. Xanax has a quick half life. (time the drug exits your body) Valium has a long half life. Regards pledge

Hello Franny 822,

Yes both are benzo's (anxiolytic).
The xanax has a short half life of about 6-12 hrs, whereas valium has a longer half life of about 20-100 hrs.
For fast acting xanax helps better, however, for long term valium is better.
Hope this has helped ... pamee

Yes they are but they work differently with Xanax being the "stronger" of the two. Hope this helps.